HORSEPOWER SPEED TEAM
Can join through AprilOur Speed Team is not your typical track team and this page will provide detailed information regarding our Speed Team, what we do and how to become a part of it.
The typical track team is run by a part time coach who has another career full time but uses their love of track to run a team. We were a part of such a team for 3 years and had an awesome experience! At the same time, we learned what a complex, strategic and intelligent sport track is and when Coach Eric started doing more research into the sport and how to properly train, we realized the rabbit hole this sport truly is and all it can provide both mentally and physically.
So why track? Why is it such an overseen sport? Why do parents plug their kids in baseball, soccer, basketball, etc and never consider track? Here are some potential reasons...
Track is just not on people's radar as a potential sport. It's not as popular as other sports so you don't always hear parents talking about it. Some assume your kid has to already be fast to run track. Some assume they are genetically at a disadvantage for one reason or another.
Here is what we have experienced having our kids in track compared to other sports they have done:
- Track requires a level of discipline unlike other sports other than maybe gymnastics. What I mean by that is everything the kids are working on is about fractions of improvement and decimals moving. Most other sports are about big hits or great shots or catches which fundamentally teaches completely different lessons in focus, discipline, motivation and precision.
- Track teaches the child a level of coordination, balance, mechanics, body control and mindset unlike any other sport. From the first day, kids realize how out of control their bodies typically are and track teaches, in a progressive way, how to better handle their bodies overall.
- Track allows a coach to provide insight into things deeper than their mechanics in how they handle winning and losing, what place they come in and how they compare to others. Coach Eric has a way to have the kids see themselves and their behavior and responses and become mindful of themselves and how to manage that which transcends into how they are at school and at home.
- Track is a sport that yes, they can participate in middle and high school, however, that level of track is significantly less competitive than where we compete which us USATF (USA Track & Field). So our program allows them to compete with kids their age, on a competitive level and continue through high school and beyond.
- Track is a great sport for kids that like to run and be fast without all the potential dangers of applying that in other sports. Football for example, can allow a fast kid to shine but those same kids are also at risk of huge injury. Our sons, for example, ran track for 3 years, became very fast and wanted to apply that in football. Well they were the fastest kid on any field but being smaller, they were also at a huge risk of injury with every play. Now they are back and completely committed to track where they can laser focus on their speed without having to be hit by kids 20-40 pounds bigger than them.
- Track is an awesome sport for kids of all ages, all backgrounds, all levels of experience to learn to become not only better athletes but better human beings with great character.
There are 2 seasons to track, indoor and outdoor and our team runs year round for both seasons and here's why. For our first 3 years of track, our kids only ran in the Spring/Summer. Each year they would come out and they had to almost start over to get back to the speeds they ended maybe a bit faster than the previous season. We would go to meets and see the same kids from other teams from last year and some would be much faster and we wondered how they did that. We learned they ran indoor AND outdoor so basically ran year round so for us only running half the year, we were at a clear disadvantage.
The seasons run as follows:
September - March
Can join up until November
March - July
Can join up until April
We offer both recreational and competitive options as described here:
RECREATIONAL SPEED TEAM
This is for kids ages 7 and up that want to be on a team, train with the team but not participate in the track meets.
This program allows your kid to learn all the techniques of speed and implement them in a way that will challenge them to become faster while still remaining on a recreational level. They practice less than the team and do not participate in any of the competitive meets. They practice 2 days per week. They can join our indoor season or our outdoor season. The cost is provided below.
COMPETITIVE SPEED TEAM
This is for kids ages 7 and up that want to be on a team, train with the team and participate in USATF (USA Track & Field) sanctioned events. We participate in 3-5 local meets per season and they are an opportunity to see how we do in the state and potentially the region and the nation. Our training is quite different from the average track club and here's why:
1) Coach Eric is a professional coach of over 25 years who has helped lots of people get in their best shape and now focuses 100% on helping kids become faster.
2) The kids receive not only professional coaching but mentoring as well. Coach Eric uses the training to teach lessons that will carry them for a lifetime and positively affect their home and school life.
3) We keep our costs as affordable as possible while still providing top notch, collegiate level training and coaching.
They practice 4 days per week.
The costs to be on our team (rec or competitive) are again, different from a typical track team where you pay one fee for the entire season. We charge differently because we train differently and have access to a coach of over 25 years and all he does is help kids get fast and mentor them all along the way.
Recreational Team Fees: $129 per month
Competitive Team Fees: $169 per month +
(one time fees)
USATF membership $20
Uniform cost $60
Meet fees $40
Track spikes $20-80
We have our parents and athletes complete and submit the attached contact.
HORSEPOWER SPEED TEAM CONTRACT